• 1/2 cup uncooked farro or quinoa
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 large or 2 small lemons)
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for cooking the farro
• 1 large bunch (about 10 to 12 ounces) kale leaves, destemmed and chopped
• 1 cup pitted cherries, halved
• 1, 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1, 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and sliced into quarters if large
• 1/2 cup toasted walnut halves, roughly chopped
1. Place the farro in a medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the water is absorbed and the farro is tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl. While the farro cooks, prepare the other ingredients.
2. In a small bowl or measuring cup, briskly whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until well combined. Pour over the warm farro, then toss to coat. Add the kale, cherries, chickpeas, red onions, and artichokes and toss to combine. Sprinkle the walnuts over the top. If time allows, place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to allow the kale to tenderize. Enjoy.